The present building and grounds of the All Saints Episcopal Church in Brighton Heights was made possible through the purchase and donation of land by the Oliver family. Construction was begun on November 3, 1930, and the cornerstone was laid on February 22, 1931. The building was dedicated October 18, 1931. David B. Oliver and Charles S. Shoemaker were church Wardens at the time, The Right Reverend Alexander Mann was guiding the Diocese, and the Reverend Walter F. Marshfield was Rector of All Saints. The building cost $69,000.
On February 19,1889, The Mission of Saint John the Baptist was founded in Allegheny City, which is now the Northside of the City of Pittsburgh. Ann and Ben Keay, who had immigrated from England, were instrumental in organizing the new congregation. The first meeting was held on the second floor of Morrison’s Drugstore at the corner of Woods Run and McClure Avenue. In September of that same year, the small group moved to the Baptist church at Eckert and McClure. Services were conducted by the Layman’s Missionary League. The name of the mission was changed to All Saints in 1896. Services were conducted at Morris Hall on Woods Run Road until 1906. That year a church building was erected at California and Antrum streets, with the Reverend F. F. Flewelling in charge. All Saints became a parish in 1909. The first All Saints Church building was consecrated in 1911 under Reverend John R. Wightman, Rector and the Right Reverend Cortlandt Whitehead presiding as Bishop of the Docese of Pittsburgh. The parish then had a congregation of 279 baptized individuals. The first church building was demolished on May 6, 1930 in order to make way for the construction of the Ohio River Boulevard. During the intirim before construction of the present building, services were held in the Chapel of the Odd Fellows Orphanage.
Allegheny City in the early days of the All Saints Church
Construction of the California Avenue Bridge, Brighton Heights. The California Avenue Bridge was built to expand street car service to the growing northern suburbs. Built close to the original All Saints Church building, it was later replaced in 1928 with a 642 foot span also known as the Robert McAfee Bridge in order to serve automobile and pedestrian traffic as well.
Nearby Goe Avenue, Brighton Heights, having Belgian Block paving installed, 1912.
Drugstore at the corner of Brighton and Benton avenues, 1931
Hall Street and Wardwell Street, in nearby Marshall Shadeland, not far from the first All Saints church, looking south gives a glimpse of Allegheny neighborhoods in the early 1900’s.
Downtown Allegheny City (Now known as the Northside), the thriving shopping district on Federal Street in 1937
Flooding on Lacock Street, Allegheny City, 1913